Katie Mae’s Unforgettable Chocolate Cake – Vegan, Gluten-free & Sugar-free!
Katie Mae’s Unforgettable Chocolate Cake
By Chef Katie Mae
Makes double layered 9-inch cake | Ready in 1 hour | Stores 1 week in fridge
INGREDIENTS FOR THE CAKE
- 1½ cups quinoa, ground into flour
- 1½ cups oats, ground in flour
- 2¼ cups unsweetened, non-dairy milk
- 1½ tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 18 oz dates, pitted and halved (about 30 Medjool dates)
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup unsweetened cacao
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FROSTING
- 1 cup cashews
- 10 Medjool dates
- 1 cup unsweetened, non-dairy milk
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cacao
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Add quinoa and rolled oats to a blender or food processor. Blend until the grains have turned to flour. Transfer the flour to a medium bowl.
- In the empty blender, combine the plant-based milk, ground flaxseeds, vinegar, vanilla, dates and applesauce. Wait to blend.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two 9-inch cake pans with parchment paper, making sure the sides are covered. Cut slits in the corners of the paper so that it overlaps and lies flat.
- Add the cacao, baking powder and baking soda to the dry ingredients and stir well. Blend everything that’s in the blender until smooth. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix well.
- Using a spatula, pour the batter into the cake pans, split evenly between the two. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Blend all of the frosting ingredients until creamy.
- Using the parchment paper, carefully remove the cakes from the pans. Spread a thin layer of frosting across the top of each cake. Then gently one cake on top of the other cake. If you have extra frosting feel free to frost the sides as well.