Whole Grain Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins With Quinoa & Oats
These vegan Lemon Poppyseed Muffins are perfect for a ladies brunch or just a light, yummy breakfast treat!
This recipe will truly leave you feeling light because it's made with whole grains and without any heavy oil, butter or cream. Sweetened with applesauce, these Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are deliciously moist.
Enjoy the poppyseed speckles and bright lemon flavor!
Whole Grain Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
By Chef Katie Mae
Makes 12 muffins | Ready in 30 minutes | Stores 3 days at room temperature
- ½ cup unsweetened, non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1¼ cup rolled oats (or oat flour)
- ¾ cup quinoa (or quinoa flour)
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ cup poppy seeds
- 3 lemons, zested and juiced (about ½ cup juice)
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- Combine the non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a muffin tray with paper or silicone cups. If using a non-stick pan, you can skip the cups.
- In a high-powered blender, add the rolled oats and quinoa. Blend the grains into flour. Then transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the poppy seeds, baking powder, and lemon zest. Mix well.
- Juice the lemon into the bowl of milk and vinegar. Stir in the water and applesauce.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until you have an even consistency.
- Pour the batter into the muffin pan. It should be enough to fill a dozen cups. Bake for 22 minutes, or until golden brown.
- If you didn’t line the pan with cups, let the pan cool for 10 minutes before taking the muffins out. If you did use the cups, take them out of the hot pan, but let them cool before removing the wrapper.