Homemade Graham Crackers – Gluten-free and Sugar-free!
Homemade Graham Crackers
By Chef Katie Mae
Makes about 15 crackers| Ready in 35 minutes | Stores 1 week at room temperature
- ½ cup oat flour (rolled oats, ground)
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon
- 6 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup pecans
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened, non-dairy milk
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add oat flour, rice flour, arrowroot powder and cinnamon to a bowl and mix.
- In a food processor add dates, pecans, and non-dairy milk. Process for 1 to 2 minutes until the dates and pecans are fully broken down and there is an even consistency. Add the flour mixture and process again until all of the flour is mixed in. The moist dough should have a shine to it.
- Transfer the dough to a bowl where you can use your hands to mold it into a ball. Place the ball on a large cutting board. Flatten it slightly. Then use a rolling pin to flatten the dough until it’s about ½ cm thick.
- For curvy edges use a pastry wheel to cut the dough into 2-inch squares. If you don’t have a pastry wheel, a pizza wheel or knife will give the crackers straight edges.
- Use a very thin spatula to carefully transfer the crackers to the prepared baking tray. Then use a fork to gently make indentations on the crackers to get the traditional graham crackers look. I usually poke each cracker 3 times with the fork, but this can vary wit the cracker size.
- Bake for 20 minutes on the center rack. Half-way through, feel free to pull the crackers out, sprinkle cinnamon on top, and then continue baking for 10 minutes.
- Enjoy them right out of the oven or cool them for later. Once the crackers cool down, they will become harder and have more crunch. Store in an airtight container.