Merry Berry Kale Jam – Homemade and Sugar-free for the Whole Family
Berry Kale Jam
By Chef Katie Mae
Makes 2–4 servings | Ready in 10 minutes | Stores 1 week in fridge
- 3 cups berries, halved if appropriate (strawberries, blueberries, etc.)
- 1–2 persimmon (fuyu or amigaki) OR oranges, diced
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- ½ bunch of kale, finely chopped
- Place the berries in a saucepan on the stovetop and cover. Cook them over medium-high heat until you can see the fruit start to break down and release juice, about 3 minutes. Stir frequently during this time to prevent the fruit from browning.
- Stir in the diced persimmon/orange, nutmeg and then the kale. Turn the heat to medium. Cover and simmer for a few minutes or until the kale and fruit is cooked to your liking.
Feel free to experiment with other fruit. I love to add fresh, seasonal fruit.
For extra sweetness, either add ¼ cup of a fruit juice OR add a few diced dates with step 1.
If you like very tender kale, add it at the beginning with the fruit and cook to your desired consistency.