Makes 4 cups | Ready in 70 minutes | Stores 1 week in fridge
- 1 cup brown rice, soaked for 20 minutes
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced (½ tablespoon garlic granules)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 8 oz tomato sauce, no-salt added (1 cup)
- 1¾ cups low-sodium vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- Place brown rice and onion in a non-stick pan on low-medium heat. Cover and toast the rice for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cumin. Sauté for a few more minutes with the lid on. Stir frequently. If the onions and rice start to stick, add a couple tablespoons of water or promptly move to step 2.
- Stir in tomato sauce and broth, and turn heat up to medium. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low-medium. Let simmer for 50 to 60 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed. The rice should be fully cooked. If the rice is not done at this time, continue to let it simmer. If there is little to no liquid left in the pan, add ¼ cup of water and cover.
- When the rice is done, stir in peas and cilantro. Remove from heat. Garnish with cilantro before serving.