Oil-free Chana Masala – An Indian Favorite Made Plant-Strong!
Oil-free Chana Masala
By Chef Katie Mae
Makes 2–4 servings | Ready in 15 minutes | Stores 1 week in fridge
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch fresh ginger, minced
- 24 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (two 15-oz cans, drained and rinsed)
- ½ lemon, juiced
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the coriander and cumin, and dry-sauté for a minute.
- Add the onion, garlic and ginger, and cover. Continue sautéing for a few minutes until the onions are translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the chickpeas and tomatoes. Turn the heat to medium and uncover. As the dish simmers, the tomatoes will thicken. Simmer 5 to 10 minutes, or to your desired consistency.
- Serve warm and garnish with cilantro.