Oil-free Latkes – AKA Potato Pancakes
By Chef Katie Mae
Latkes traditionally consist of shallow-fried grated potato, flour, and egg, so it's fantastic to have a delicious plant-based and oil-free recipe! Regardless of the holidays you do or don't celebrate, these potato pancakes make an extra scrumptious breakfast any time of the year!
Makes 8–12 pancakes | Ready in 25 minutes
- 2 russet potatoes
- 1 large zucchini
- ½ onion
- ½ cup flaxseed, ground or ¼ cup rolled oats, ground
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (optional)
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Grate the potatoes, zucchini, and onion. The quickest way to do this is with a food processor fitted with the medium grater attachment. Depending on the food processor size you may have to empty it in between gratings to make room for more veggies. If you don’t have a food processor a box grater will work.
- Spread half of the grated vegetables onto a clean kitchen towel. Roll the towel around the vegetables, and wring the towel to draw out the excess moisture. Transfer dried vegetables to a large mixing bowl. Repeat with remaining vegetables.
- In a small bowl combine the ground oats, baking powder, and black pepper. Transfer this oat mixture to the vegetable bowl and use your clean hands to mix thoroughly.
- Pick up about a ¼ cup of potato mixture and shape it into a semi-tight ball in your hands. Use the palms of your hands to flatten the ball into a potato pancake and place it on prepared pan. Repeat with the remaining mix, spacing the pancakes about 2 inches apart. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes depending how crispy you want them. Flip the latkes and bake 12 to 15 more minutes. Serve immediately.
Top pancakes with applesauce or other plant-based toppings, like salsa, guacamole, hummus or even a freshly made cranberry sauce.
The pancakes can be frozen and saved for later. First, freeze the pancakes on a pan with parchment paper, before or after their baked. Once their frozen, transfer them to an air-tight container or bag to store in the freezer.