Reuben-Style Tempeh & Cabbage – a Wholesome Favorite!
Reuben-Style Tempeh & Cabbage
By Chef Katie Mae
Makes 2–3 servings | Ready in 25 minutes | Stores 1 week in fridge
- 8 oz tempeh, sliced
- 1½ cups water
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons stoneground or Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 cups cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- ½–1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Slice the tempeh into wide, thin slices. Create these pieces by slicing the tempeh at a diagonal, OR slice the tempeh cross-sectional, so you have two large flat pieces and then cut those pieces into 1 to 2-inch strips.
- Place a large skillet or sauté pan on the stovetop. Add the water, apple cider vinegar, mustard, and liquid smoke, and stir.
- Lay the tempeh strips in a single layer in the pan with the marinade, and turn the heat to medium-high. Spread the sliced onion and cabbage over the tempeh. Then add the bay leaf and sprinkle the caraway seeds and black pepper across the top.
- Cover, reduce the heat to low-medium and let simmer for 20 minutes. Use a large spatula to flip the tempeh at the half-way point to make sure the flavors are mixed well. Stirring will start to break up the tempeh so try not to over mix the tempeh. Serve warm with a Thousand Island Dressing.